- Study with us
- Federation University at MIT
- About us
BK208 - Digital Marketing Foundations
|15.00||NIL||N/A||36 contact hours|
Aims & Objectives
This is a second-year Core Unit in the Bachelor of Business [Digital Marketing].
Traditional business disciplines are starting to appreciate the fundamental challenges presented by the application of cutting edge marketing technology to their knowledge base. In marketing the most visible agent of change has been www and online transacting which has already revolutionised a number of sectors of the world economy. This unit presents the essential facets of applying digital marketing technologies within contemporary organisations. This unit reflects on how marketing has evolved from traditional marketing means to new technological changes in marketing and expose students to critically analyse in the light of technological change. It explores how marketers can utilise different digital marketing methods of understanding, creating, communicating and delivering customer value in the marketplace.
In this unit students will learn how to optimise web traffic and analyse its performance through various web analytics services. It is based on sound, practical knowledge and equips students with an array of competencies valued by marketing practitioners and companies globally. This unit also enhances the knowledge on privacy and security in facilitating digital marketing activities. In today’s hyper competitive environment marketing needs to be at the forefront of technologies and approaches and digital marketing delivers a solid foundation for this, and blends seamlessly into the marketing discipline, integrating with and adding value to the repertoire of talents required for the marketer of today.
Unit topics include:
- Digital marketing as part of the marketing communications mix
- Evolution of traditional marketing to digital marketing
- Mobile marketing
- Web marketing and other customer acquisition techniques
- Developing and maintaining effective websites
- Measuring and evaluating web marketing programs
- Search engine marketing (SEM)
- Google analytics
At the completion of this unit students should be able to:
- Critically evaluate search engine technology and search engine optimization of website development and landing pages.
- Discuss how marketing is evolved from traditional marketing channels to new digital marketing technological channels
- Demonstrate a coherent and advanced knowledge of digital marketing concepts using critical thinking
- Apply digital marketing fundamentals to analysis, design and decision making methodologies to identify and provide innovative value creations for customers, organisations and marketers.
- Analyse the market and create and develop innovative digital solutions to fulfil identifiable needs
- Plan, budget, execute, report and optimise a website
Lecture: 2 hours
Tutorial/Workshop: 1 hour
Tutorial/Workshop: 1 hour
Face to Face
|Assessment Task||Learning Outcomes Assessed*||Weighting|
|1. Formative assessment||a,b||0%|
|2. Contribution and Participation||a-e||10%|
|3. Website Design Brief Report [Group]||a, c-e||15%|
|4. Website Implementation [Group]||a, c-f||25%|
|5. Final examination||a-e||50%|
*refer to learning outcomes above.
Note: Students are required to purchase the prescribed text book and have it available each week in class.
Prescribed Text Book:
Dodson, I. (2016). The art of digital marketing: the definitive guide to creating strategic, targeted and measurable online campaigns (6th ed.). John Wiley & Sons.
- Roberts, M.L., Zahay, D. (2017). Internet Marketing – Integrate Online and Offline Strategies, Indiana, USA: Willey Publishing Limited.
- Hemann, C., Burbary, K., (2015). Digital marketing analytics, USA, Que Publishing.
- Hunt, B. (2014). Convert: Designing Websites to Increase Traffic and Conversions (4th ed.). Indiana, USA: Willey Publishing Limited.
- Cutroni, J. (2016). Google Analytics (1st ed.). USA: O’Reilly Media Publications.
- Ryan, D. (2014). Understanding Digital Marketing: Marketing Strategies for Engaging the Digital Generation (3rd ed.). London, United Kingdom: Kogan Page Limited.
- Barker, M.S., Barker, D.I., Bormann, N.F., Roberts, M.L. & Zahay, D. (2017). Social media marketing: A strategic approach (2nd ed.). Victoria, Australia: Cengage Learning.
- Ryan, D., Jones, C (2017). The best digital marketing campaigns in the world: Mastering the art of customer engagement (2nd ed.). London, United Kingdom: Kogan Page Limited.
- Weber, L., Henderson, L., (2016). The digital marketer, USA, Wiley & Sons.
Adopted Reference Style: APA can be found in MIT library referencing
MIT is committed to ensure the course is current, practical and relevant so that graduates are “work ready” and equipped for life-long learning. In order to accomplish this, the MIT Graduate Attributes identify the required knowledge, skills and attributes that prepare students for the industry.
The level to which Graduate Attributes covered in this unit are as follows:
|Ability to communicate||Independent and Lifelong Learning||Ethics||Analytical and Problem Solving||Cultural and Global Awareness||Team work||Specialist knowledge of a field of study|
|Colour coding||Extent covered|
|The standard is covered by theory and practice, and addressed by assessed activities in which the students always play an active role, e.g. workshops, lab submissions, assignments, demonstrations, tests, examinations|
|The standard is covered by theory or practice, and addressed by assessed activities in which the students mostly play an active role, e.g. discussions, reading, intepreting documents, tests, examinations|
|The standard is discussed in theory or practice; it is addressed by assessed activities in which the students may play an active role, e.g. lectures and discussions, reading, interpretation, workshops, presentations|
|The standard is presented as a side issue in theory or practice; it is not specifically assessed, but it is addressed by activities such as lectures or tutorials|
|The standard is not considered, there is no theory or practice or activities associated with this standard|