- Study with us
- Federation University at MIT
- About us
Information Technology & Resources
The facilities at MIT are modern and inviting, complete with interactive, study environments. The computer laboratories are well equipped and well maintained for staff and student use. MIT has more than 350 computers for student use at the Melbourne campus and 350 at the Sydney campus. All computer labs are accessible during MIT’s operating hours. MIT currently employ a full time Systems Admin and two IT Help Desk assistants at the Melbourne campus, and a full time Assistant IT Manager and an IT Help Desk assistant at the Sydney campus to assist the staff, lecturers and students.
Computing and network resources available include PC’s, laptops, printers, scanners, copiers, dedicated Cisco equipment, audio visual equipment, internet connection, Wi-Fi and remote access to resources through the Academic Management System (AMS).
The IT department, in conjunction with the teaching staff, ensures that the student computer facilities are maintained to industry level standards and that relevant and required software is provided for each unit.
Note: An ID card issued by MIT is required to access all the facilities on campus.
Free unlimited Wi-Fi and Internet Access
All staff and currently enrolled students enjoy free unlimited high speed internet access in all areas at both campuses. Unlimited internet allows students the freedom to conveniently use internet services without download limits however; it is subject to fair use according to MIT’s policies and procedures.
Students with laptops and Wi-Fi enabled devices can connect to free unlimited wireless internet using the SSID: MIT_STUDENT and entering their student ID and password.
Access to MIT Systems
MIT adheres to strict guidelines when issuing user names and passwords to its students and staff (users). Weak or simple passwords are easily guessed by the readily available tools that hackers use and as such we need to ensure that the passwords used to access MIT systems are not easily exploited. Please do not use your date of birth, name or parts of your name in your passwords such as max12345, instead use a combination of letters, non-sequential numbers and special characters such as T#iV38fa. Do not reuse an old password. Do not use a password that you use for your own personal internet online accounts such as Facebook or email services. Generally you shouldn’t use the same password across multiple accounts because if a hacker finds your password for one account then most likely they will try to access the other accounts. Again, hackers have tools that automate that process taking a username and password that has been found and trying it on multiple service providers.
For example, a Facebook or LinkedIn account (whose password was discovered) mentions the date of birth, place of work or other personally identifiable information. The hacker can then take that information and try to access your other accounts including work email, your computer and mobile. There are many examples of this and a quick search will reveal many cases of this.
MIT User Account, Email and Internet Guidelines are provided here MIT User Account, Email and Internet Guidelines.
For more information and support queries, contact us:
MIT Melbourne Campus
MIT Sydney Campus
Information Technology Services (ITS) provides information and communication technology (ICT) systems and services that meet the dynamic needs of the MIT community and achieve a high level of user satisfaction.
The mission of ITS is to enhance the teaching and learning experience for MIT students, faculty, and staff through a supportive and collaborative partnership to provide a range of strategic and innovative information technology solutions.
ITS is responsible for maintaining a robust information technology infrastructure that supports MIT’s academic and administrative systems.
The academic portal also known as the Academic Management System (AMS) is a one “stop shop” for student and staff and includes access to the following interactive information:
- can view their class timetable information (students can select their lecture, tutorial and laboratory session times online);
- can view their examination timetable (students can view their examination timetable that includes examination times, day and location of exams) online;
- can view their attendance information (students can view their class attendance record information) online;
- can view their progressive assessment marks at any time online;
- can view their published results at any time online;
- can access information on upcoming student events;
- access up to date Occupation Health & Safety information;
- can view the Academic Calendar; and
- can provide online feedback on MIT services, resources, teaching, experience etc.
For Staff AMS provides
- Facility to upload student marks/results;
- Online facilities to update, monitor, follow up student progress including class attendance;
- Access to uploading and reviewing teaching materials via the Learning management System (LMS) Moodle;
- Online facility to claim payment;
- Access up to date Occupation Health & Safety information;
- Other relevant information.
For more information and support queries, please contact Systems Development Team at email@example.com or,
MIT Melbourne Campus
Phone: +61 3 8600 6700
Level 2M, 288 La Trobe Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Moodle allows student and staff to interact live online 24/7.
- Is a learning management tool that facilitates learning for both students and staff. It houses all student learning materials and various learning resources;
- Acts as a resource repository;
- Facilitates online assessment submissions by students (students submit their assignments online including through Turnitin);
- Supports the submission of assignment coversheet for all individual and group assignments;
- Supports online marking of students work using a range of software including simple track changes in word, PDF tools such as Nitro, online scribing using tablet technology;
- Supports downloading student assignments in "bulk"etc